[ZWeb] zope web status report 2006-02-06

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Feb 6 06:43:27 EST 2006

Hi there,

In order to get some sense of progress, here I'l list a status report of
what we've been up to. Most importantly I will list some stuff we need
to do. Since I've been busy I'm probably out of the loop on some stuff,
so please post your bits in this thread.

* some additions and refactoring were made on our texts. Lots more needs
to be done.

* some people still need access to codespeak - if you need access, drop
me a mail. If you already requested access and haven't gotten it yet,
please drop me a mail so I can put some pressure behind it all.

* Various discussions on the zope mailing lists have been taking away on
how to brand things. I've sending some mails to likely volunteers
inviting them into this project.

Is everybody on this list? Just wave your hand if you're here! Also
consider joining us on #zope-web on freenode.

We need to make some decisions:

Decisions
----------

* are we going to target Zope 3 only with this site, or Zope 2 as well?
I wrote text to cover both, as Zope 2 is currently the breadwinner of
most of us. I think we can get enthusiasm more easily for Zope 3
however; nobody is going to write Zope 2 tutorials. What do we do?

* we need to answer the question whether we want a famous
low-amounts-of-minutes "how do you build app Foo in Zope 3" screencast.
If so, someone will need to design it.

* are we going to do a newsletter or not? I worry about having it be up
to date, but if we get some volunteers I'm not against it. If this turns
out to be hard, then we'd better focus on the website, not a newsletter,
as this gives us far more marketing pay-off. (zope.org is currently
anti-marketing zope)

Volunteers
----------

* we need inspired writers to improve the texts and organize it further.
We need a good marketing message.

* we need screencasts! Besides the how to make a CMS in 5 minutes
screencast mentioned above, we can build tutorials on how to set up
things, install things, make first steps.

* we need start collecting Zope 3 documentation we can put online. We
need to mine what's there online right now, approach the creators with a
proposal for a new home (we could even have a mockup of it all in the
grand new design, see next point), and process the documents so we can
include it.

* does anyone know a good web designer who can design a solid looking,
serious, but still exciting website for zope?

Who is volunteering for some of this? I'm going to help out with the
writing and will try to keep up my general nagging so we can push this
forward, but we need more people.

It's been very quiet on this list lately, and we need more noise. :)

Regards,

Martijn