[ZWeb] zope web status report 2006-02-06

baiju m baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:17:25 EST 2006

On 2/9/06, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
> > * we need start collecting Zope 3 documentation we can put online. We
> > need to mine what's there online right now, approach the creators with a
> > proposal for a new home (we could even have a mockup of it all in the
> > grand new design, see next point), and process the documents so we can
> > include it.
>
> I would caution against throwing everything in there that is vaguely good.
> Quality must be the first priority, and seriously - no wikis. This would
> need review and control, not the potential to grow into another zope.org.
> Existing documents would probably need to be reformatted for style and
> layout, and we'd have to think carefully about providing a good picture.
>
> I actually quite like the Django tutorial
> (http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial1) because it's easy
> to follow, bite-sized, and I could get a pretty good idea of how it works
> by skimming the code + screenhots and skipping most of the text.
>
> As a visitor, I need to have a single place to start, and a clear path
> through the information, not just a dump of information that I have to
> wade through myself. And most importantly, all the documentation (and I
> mean all of it) needs to be consistent, not only in style and message, but
> in the development patterns presented. I know zope 3 is powerful and
> great, but don't throw every combination out there all at once. People who
> want to invest in the framework will have plenty of time to discover all
> that. What we need to do is make it feasible for them to take that plunge.

I think we can have these kind of documentation:

Documentation
-------------

- Zope 3 Tutorial
- Zope 2 Tutorial (Using Five and so lead the user towards Zope3)
- What's new in {Zope2|3|CMF|Five} releases
- ZopeBook (Zope 2)
- ZDG (Zope 2)
- z3 static API docs
- Zope3Book
- HOWTOs

In addition to this, a wiki can also be included.

Zope 3 Tutorial

    This will be the official tutorial for Zope3, like Python's or Django's
Tutorials. A trimmed down version of 'MessageBoard' application
can be used in this tutorial. This will help the user when reading Zope3Book.
This tutorial can be updated with every major releases.

An FAQ like:
  http://plone.org/documentation/faq
  http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=index

HOWTOs