[ZWeb] zope web status report 2006-02-06

Mark Pratt mark at zopemag.com
Thu Feb 9 04:23:36 EST 2006

Hi,

Just one point.

On Feb 9, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 04:17:25 -0000, baiju m
> <baiju.m.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think we can have these kind of documentation:
>>
>> Documentation
>> -------------
>>
>> - Zope 3 Tutorial
>> - Zope 2 Tutorial (Using Five and so lead the user towards Zope3)
>> - What's new in {Zope2|3|CMF|Five} releases
>> - ZopeBook (Zope 2)
>> - ZDG (Zope 2)
>
> Do we really want to add to the confusion by throwing in old Zope 2
> documentation, that still refers to Zope 2.6 and has one gazillion
> very confusing in-line text comments?
>
> If the idea is to deliver the message that Zope 3 is great,
> clutting the message with Zope 2 cruft (not the same as if we have
> some really great zope 2 documentation, but what's there has rotted
> quite a bit) is not likely to help. Maybe we can (and should) get
> there too, but let's not bite off more than we can chew the first
> iteration. The *worst* thing we can do is launch a new site that
> has all the old sites' problems. :)

As attractive the idea may be of everyone switching to Zope 3 right
away -- it is essential that the thousands of Zope 2.x server out
their still receive some kind of documentation support.

So while it may be true that the documentation is out of date -- this
should then be a priority to do a "final" update of the 2.x docs and
then focus on all things Zope 3.

Legacy Zope apps are going to be around for the next 3 to 10 years.

Cheers,

Mark