[ZWeb] me too. so what to do ?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Wed Mar 1 16:28:38 EST 2006

On 1 Mar 2006, at 21:06, Simon Michael wrote:

>> I'd like to invite you to join the effort - but I don't want to
>> think about forking zope.org and i immediately loose interest when
>> you say plone.
>
> You are maintaining a plone site right now. Wouldn't you rather
> maintain a supported version ?

Wrong. *No one* is maintaining that software, including Michael. He
spends valuable time on the content side, as webmaster and on helping
plan a better solution.

Putting aside the discussion of what software is better and what is
not acceptable, the hard truth is this: Many people talk about
helping do continuing maintenance, but few do. A lot are willing to
propose and put in place their idea of a good solution, but very few
are going all the way and standing behind that solution from that
point on. Meaning maintaining the software, doing upgrades, resolving
problems.

As someone who has done years and years of large-scale sysadmin work,
unless the software is supported or has been chosen by the people who
will have to deal with it day after day after it has been put in
place it simply will not succeed. The current zope.org suffers from
that same problem. It became an immediate orphan because those people
who were tasked with maintaining the setup on a daily basis *hated*
it from Day 1.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everyones' ideas, and all of them
have merit. But none of them have a chance of success unless they are
backed by real-life people with access to the cluster and explicit
willingness and commitment to support it.

jens