[ZWeb] DNS still fishy?

Justizin justizin at siggraph.org
Thu Oct 12 09:15:31 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Jens Vagelpohl <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2006, at 08:57, Justizin wrote:
> > Anyway, everything except these hosts need to be removed from the
> > rotation:
> >
> >  ns1.zoneedit.com
> >  ns7.zoneedit.com
> >  ns.qutang.net
> >  ns*.zope.com
>
> Then I suggest you do that and end the current confusion in regards
> to which server does what (and which server even has the correct data).

  (a) I don't control the actual registrar records

  (b) Yes, these were listed in the zone itself as the NS, but noone
should be doing lookups via these servers, because ZoneEdit is not
authoritative for the NS records of this zone, the registrar is.

I've removed them, but I politely request that you stop being an
asshole unless you want to wear this hat yourself.

I'm sick, I was stranded in the middle of nowhere when this change
took place, and I was rushed.

It's all of our fault.  Don't make me come over there.

> > I'd love to see more backups once they have copies of the zone.  If
> > you want to grab a copy of the zone, you'll have to transfer manually
> > from ns1.zoneedit.com or ns7.zoneedit.com, from one of these IP
> > addresses:
>
> No you don't. Setting a machine up as a slave, in that terrible bind-
> centric world, will cause it to pull the data automatically.

ZoneEdit apparently does not run BIND, or at least does not send
NOTIFY requests.

I don't know what you want me to do.

> > Three nameservers is fine for now.  Eight would be far better.
>
> I still don't understand why we would need that many...  but I don't
> want to discuss this any further. Matter of fact, since zoneedit does
> not support NOTIFY it is probably a bad thing to even have my server
> on the list. I suggest you limit the official servers to the ones you
> mentioned, the zoneedit/qutang/zope.com hosts until NOTIFY is working.
>
> jens

You don't understand because you're an idiot, Jens, and you've never
guaranteed 100% uptime.

I was basically shut up by your whining when I tried to explain all of
the precautions we should take in order to avoid what happened to
zope.org this week.

I won't respond to demands that I rush ever again.

--
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter