[Zope] - zope jitterbug

Dinu C. Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:56:45 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Everitt <Paul@digicool.com>
To: Alan Wostenberg <awostenb@baan.com>; zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 08, 1998 4:17 PM
Subject: RE: [Zope] - zope jitterbug

>  http://www.digicool.com/site/Collector/
>
>The biggest problem we had in doing the Collector was requirements.  We
>never had the discipline to write down what we wanted it to do!  Thus, I
>think the first requirement for "Zitterbug" would be to focus on the
>early part of the software lifecycle.

I don't know anything about Jitterbug or something like that, but
in my company we use an IBM dinosaur software called CMVC, Conf.
Mgmt. Version Control, something long given up by IBM even...

This calls for a remark that, based on daily experience, I'd expect
users of such a system not only to deal with requirements, too, but
also with a sound versioning concept, especially if you are to roll-
out new or customer-specific versions on an almost daily basis as we
do.

It seems to me that a really good tool here would be a well-balanced
combination of concepts from at least three key areas: versioning,
database and development environment. So far I've seen no such animal
in the Python world, but I'd love to be proven wrong, ASAP. ;-)

Dinu

---
Dinu C. Gherman

LHS International AG  :  http://www.lhsgroup.com
8050 Zurich           :  http://www.zurich.ch
Switzerland           :  mobile://49.172.3060751