[Zope] - database transfer

Jim Fulton jim@Digicool.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 18:09:46 +0000

"Christopher G. Petrilli" wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:46:31AM -0800, David Ascher wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Christopher G. Petrilli wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to prove I really have no life to Paul, but... I was just
> > > thinking of this same problem last night in the shower...
> > >
> > > Let's work with this:
> > >
> > >     zope_a  - Internal development/testbed
> > >     zope_b  - Production/consumer side
> > > [...]
> >
> > Etc.  Yes, this is exactly what I want.  As long as it's free your check
> > is in the mail as soon as it's ready. =)
>
> I wait with baited breath... and here you didn't know I was into Bass
> fishing :-)
>
> Seriously, I wanna think a bit more about this, because it fits into
> some ideas that Jim/Paul/Amos have promulgated vis a vis Zope2, and how
> it will be able to be distributed... so we really need to think about
> how 2 Zope systems will communicate in general (Fnorb?) rather than this
> one speicific instance.

I think that this is a different beast.  We have plans for essentially
"client-server" support for the Z Object Datrabase, initially by hosting
the object database in an RDBMS.  This would not really solve the problem
that started this thread.  David wanted to be able to do development on a
machine that has a very slow (or, reading between the lines, intermittent)
connection to the production server.  In a client-server model, the development
server would be hampered by a slow connection to the database server.

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.