[Zope] - database transfer

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 13:19:40 -0500

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 06:05:35PM +0000, Jim Fulton wrote:
> "Christopher G. Petrilli" wrote:
> >
> > [ I propose a mind-bending connection between Zope servers to move dbs]
>
> I agree that this could be useful and is probably doable, but I suspect
> that the details could mount pretty quickly.  It would be alot easier if
> the objects modified on the development site were *never* modified on the
> production site.

Well, I would see this as a total replacement effectively of a "tree"
inside the database.  Maybe I've got the wrong "image" in my head of how
things are stored in the database... entirely possible.  Dynamic data
that would change should be in a different part of the database (a
differetn database?)

> >         - Security is a BIG concern
>
> Yes, this has to be done carefully.

Ayup, it's what I do for a living---didn't you always wonder why I was
so twisted? :-)

> >         - Does this defeat the point of versioning (*)
>
> I don't think so.
>
> >         - Lots of other things I'm sure others will point out
> >
> > * - I see versioning as a way to play with ideas in a framework that can
> > be undone trivially, show them to others,etc, without breaking the
> > starting point.
>
> What do you mean by "versioning"? Do you mean undo? Undo is primarily
> there to make it easy to recover from mistakes.

Versioning is sessions, see below, I just sorta pre-adopted it before it
was changed in names :-)

> Sessions (soon to be renamed "versions", aka long-running-transactions)
> provide an even better way to do this.
>
> > It's not quite a VC system, which is a totally
> > different question, no?
>
> Right.  It's *not* a VC system, although there are some
> similarities.

A VC system could be useful though, but that's another painful idea for
another boring evening :-)

> > One of the neat things that Illustra had (a
> > OO-Relational database) is the concept of time-travel.  You could see
> > the database through a time-point.
>
> BoboPOS/SimpleDB was designed to support this sort of thing, although
> we've never really used it.  There are API's there, although there
> since they haven't been used, I don't know if they still work.
>
> I could imagine having Zope 2 feature that allowed you to have a read-only
> view of some past version of a web site.

Actually, now that I try and explain what it is I'd want, it doesn't
work right in the object model anyway :-)  I'm sure it's useful though,
truly I am! :-)

Chris