[Zope] - Authenication problems when on webhost?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 13:54:45 -0600

I haven't installed Zope yet. I have been reading the documentation and
posts here. There have been a couple of post by Michael Grinder which have
not been answered and concern me. Maybe they have not been answered because
there isn't a good solution. If that is the case I prefer to know.

For those of us who have to use a webhosting service we are at the mercy of
what  they (the webhost) will permit and what is required configuration
wise by Zope.

Are there any options for configuring for Authorization that can be done by
those of us who use a webhosting service?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin

Michael's messages below.

First Message:
> Date: 7 Dec 1998 00:59:18 -0000
> From: "Michael Grinder" <grinder@cs.montana.edu>
> Subject: [Zope] - Need Help -- Zope & Apache
>
> Hi. I'm trying to get Zope running with Apache on my machine at home.
> I would like to evaluate it for some web projects I'm working on.
> If I decided to use it, it will be running on my web hosting service
> where I won't have root access.
>
> I was able to get everything running fine on the Zope http server,
> but getting it to run on Apache has proved to be challenging.
> Actually, it runs fine except for authentication.
> I set things up exactly as described in doc/INSTALL.txt,
> but I keep getting this message:
>
> <snip error message>
>
> Apparently I am not setting up the URL rewriting properly.
> If, for example, Zope.cgi is in /home/grinder/public_html
> (~grinder/Zope.cgi) and the Zope installation is in /home/grinder/Zope,
> how would one make the rewriting for authentication work properly?
>
> If I were to deploy Zope on my webhosting service I would only have
> user access so I won't be able to modify apache config files, etc.
> How would one go about setting up Zope without root access?

Second Message: