[Zope] - How do I publish this object?

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 15:38:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 skip@calendar.com wrote:

> My sentiments exactly.  It would appear that Principia and Zope traded off
> Bobo's simple object publishing model for a very nice way to manage
> hierarchical web sites.  The extra complexity added under the covers looks
> like it will make it very difficult to convert existing CGI-based sites to
> Zope.  I have a site that uses 30-40 CGI scripts to do its business.  At

Echoing Skip ...

After playing around with Zope for a while I got the impression that Zope
makes it a bit difficult to publish new objects on the Web (compared with
Bobo) but provides a very powerful platform to create editable web
document hierarchies. I am trying to build a very lightweight distributed
object system based on Bobo, where object contents do not change often
(apart from configuration files) but whole objects are added or deleted
relatively frequently. In such a scenario I need a simple Web front end
that displays object functionality and webfolder contents in a consistent
manner without the need to provide the option to edit the way this
front end looks or the permissions set at development time. Such a zoppini
though must be very flexible and user friendly when it comes to adding
objects.

I would like to transfer everything to Zope and trow away my Zoppini but I
think I will need to wait a bit longer.

Pavlos