[Zope] - Authenication problems when on webhost?

Jim Fulton jim@Digicool.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 22:16:16 +0000

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:04:55 -0500 "Phillip J. Eby" wrote:
> >At 02:51 PM 12/8/98 -0600, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> >>
> >>Is their a simple way to test if it is already (automatically) available
> >>without asking tech support?
> >
> >Yeah.  Put a CGI script in a password-protected directory and have it print
> >out the environment.  If there's an HTTP_AUTHORIZATION variable that says
> >"Basic" followed by some base64 gibberish, you're in.
>
> Uh oh. What was that that just went over my head. :)
>
> I attempted to do what I thought you said.
> I created a directory, cgi-bin/test, and gave it only owner permisions.
> I then tried to run the test.py script from Netscape and got an error.
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/test/test.py on this server.
>
> Oops. :)
>
> Got any instructions for someone who's clueless?

http://www.apache.org/docs/

:)

> I didn't know it when I signed up with my webhost but having access to the
> C compiler came in handy. When I request they add Python 1.5.x to their
> support they said okay if they get enough requests. So with a little help
> from c.l.p. I compiled Python 1.5.1 to my directory. :)
> I can see it will come in handy with Zope. :)

FWIW, we'll be making self-contained binary distributions
of Zope available that have their own pre-built Python
interpreter and extensions.

So, assuming you are on a platform that we have binaries for,
you won't need a C compiler to use Zope.

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.