[Zope] - RE: [Zope] -Zope in an RPM

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:20:30 -0600

Jeff Rush:
> I don't have PCGI working yet, as there is no standard
> dir structure for cgi-bin stuff, but the standalone
> ZopeHTTPServer works ok.

Thanks, Jeff.  Zope RPMs are a good way to get people to
play with Zope.  Digital Creations probably already has
some ideas about how they want these built and distributed.
Here are some random thoughts/observations.

The only necessary C program for PCGI is pcgi-wrapper,
which defaults to /usr/local/bin, unless specified
otherwise in configure.  The current Zope distribution
leaves it -- along with everything else -- in the install
directory.

Here are some possible permutations of Zope RPM's:

  1.  Built-in Apache
  2.  Use existing Apache setup
  3.  No Apache

Number 1 will be available in non-RPM format at the
end of this week.  It will be the quickest way for
users to get up to speed with Zope/Apache.

Number 2 would be for sites that have existing an Apache
server running or for users who don't want to depend
upon a pre-built version of Apache in their Zope
distribution.  As part of #2 RPM configuration, it
should check that Apache has been installed and that
mod_rewrite has been compiled into it.

Number 3 isn't strictly necessary, but it might be
less confusing to users who want to download Zope,
but don't want to use it with Apache, i.e. just use
ZopeHTTPServer.

something-for-everyone-ly yr's

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.