[Zope] - Zope and SSL

Ronald Offerman ron@bofh-power.gjt-it.nl
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:04:36 +0100

> On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Ronald Offerman wrote:
>
> > I can run a secure Zope using pcgi and Apache-SSL. Anyone know of a way how to
> > have ZopeHTTPServer do SSL?
> Use mod_proxy with Apache-SSL. For example:
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteRule ^/intern(.*)        http://127.0.0.2:5000$1 [P]
What is the advantage over running Zope using pcgi and Apache-SSL?
I already use Apache Redirect for some secure parts of current websites, any
advantage using the ReWriteEngine over Redirect? (besides it being invisible
to the user)

> This assumes two things:
> -) You have an 127.0.0.2 lo:0 alias active ;)
> -) You have a patched BoboHTTPServer.py running there.
No problem to setup on our servers.

> > I don't want to allow management over insecure channels so is it possible to
> > use a rewrite/URL refresh rule in Zope for /manage (it should redirect to
> > https:)
> That's another thing I've been thinking about:
> -) BoboHTTPServer when running in nonssl mode should map the Non-Auth
>    error code to another error code -> When accessing the http:// url
>    the user isn't even prompted for an username/password :)
What do you intend to accomplish doing this?

--
<- Ronald Offerman | ron@gjt-it.nl
<- Root Powered Carrot Munchers Ltd. Inc. SA AG BV

"Daddy, why do those people have to use Microsoft Windows?"
"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."
"M$ Windows NT, an accident waiting to happen"
"What goes up, must come down. Ask any system administrator."