[Zope] - "folderish"?

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:44:50 -0500

Pavlos wrote:
> You are right about the unique nomenclature though, and
> yesterday I spent
> 5-6 hours greping reading the sources and trying, to get my
> side-margin to
> work. It was very frustrating but Zope was not initially
> designed as an
> open source Software so I imagine the Digicools developed
> over time their

This is precisely correct.  What seems cute when it is an internal
codebase becomes confusing for you and burdensome for us when we quickly
act to make an open source release.

> unique ways and nomenclature. It would take a while before most of the
> tricks get exposed. I hope that the tips page on the Zope
> site grows fast.

We are in the midst of a mammoth internal discussion about getting our
hands around the documentation needs.  The first goal is to get you
folks a roadmap so that you can see what to expect.  We'll then start
applying resources to make the items on the roadmap happen.

BTW, here is our current plan for the remainder of the 1.9 beta period.

On Thursday we will make a 1.9b3 release that focuses on getting the
Aqueduct stuff out for relational database integration.  Since it
appears that beta2 went pretty smooth, we don't expect to have many core
Zope issues.

BTW, there were 249 downloads of the src release, 559 downloads of the
binary package, of which 176 were the Windows exe distribution.  The Zap
distribution has had 88 downloads.

We will then make the final Zope 1.9.0 release on Tuesday.  This will
allow us to set a baseline and start working on important next steps,
such as Medusa integration, FTP support, and concurrency, plus other new
features such as today's Zope Prayer.  (I predict His Zoliness Jim will
get a bee in his bonnet and get that taken care of sooner rather than
later, but that's just conjecture)

I'm also a bit overdue on trying to manage expectations for the 1.9
release.  Our goals were:

o make the source available

o move to Python 1.5

o get things stable

From here on out, look for more energy outside of the main releases.
For instance, look for better documentation resources available on the
website.  Look for experimental packages, such as the FTP support, that
aren't distributed as part of a full release.  Look for us to build in
some infrastructure into zope.org to allow better integration with the
community, such as a Project Library, contributed patches and code,
Public CVS server, etc.

And look for a proper bug reporting and feature requesting system...

--Paul