[Zope] - On translating Zope into Korean by an awful newbie.

LEE, Kwan Soo kslee@plaza1.snu.ac.kr
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:27:20 +0900

Hi, Zopers!

I started translating Zope into Korean.

At first, I thought what I would do is trnaslating those English phrase
in DTMLs(this seems no problem. diffing & patching is far more simple
than I feared).
But now I see that there are many English phrases & word in *.py files
which appear on the browsing window.
Hence I editd a line in lib/python/AccessControl/Role.py for try, i.e.
from
    __ac_roles__=('Manager', 'Anonymous')
into
    __ac_roles__=('°ü¸®ÀÚ', '¹æ¹®°´')
        (sorry, you can not see Korean characters).
Contrary to my expectation, IT WORKS!(at least so far). I did in Red Hat
Linux 5.2 with Zope beta 2 Linux Distribution.
Getting more corageous, I would try to convert every 'Folder' into
'Æú´õ' some day soon.

But this hope raises several questions.
1. Is it safe to edit *.py files as I did? 'Manager', 'Folder', etc
seems important keywords. Hence I suspect there are some codes which
rely on exact forms of such words.

2. If not, how about specifing or seperating into Globals.py such
safely-translatable keywords embeded in *.py files? It will accelerate
globalizing Zope. Peoples feels more comfort seeing their native
language.  Even Pope blessed people in their native language many times.

BTW, we have cute 'Zope Powered Logo'. So why not do some cosmetics on
'(c) Zope' button and credits.html? And it would be better to include
the attribution materials in var/data.bbb ready made.

so far from the talkative, proudly awful newbie.
                                    Kwan-Soo