[Zope] - RE: Zope programming idioms

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:17:21 -0800

At 08:38 PM 12/17/98 -0600, Jeff Bauer wrote:
>Okay, what started off as a simple post has brought us to
>the edge of where Bobo left off and Zope begins.
>
>One issue to be addressed is how to combine the raw power
>and flexibility of pure Bobo within the Zope framework.
>I think Amos' experimental External Objects (12/14/98)
>is one attempt to address this issue.
>
>I confess:  Although I can see the overwhelming usefulness
>of Zope in distributing the "web-construction-maintenance"
>portion of the workload to users (esp. non-programmers --
>no mean feat), I'm still uncertain as to how I can apply
>it all programatically (i.e. without bci/ZPublisher.Client)
>with the ease I've enjoyed using Bobo.

This is a difficult issue. I don't have a good answer right now. Part of my
motivation for writing 'External Objects' was to try out a possible answer.

Bobo is much more simple and flexible than Zope. The Zope framework
provides lot of services, but it also imposes lots of conventions in order
to play ball.

It's hard to know how or even if it's possible to marry to "raw power and
flexibility" of Bobo to the fuller services of Zope. I'm definitely open to
suggestions.

Maybe there could be some way to code in Bobo, but write the UI in Zope...
Or maybe we just need to better document the Product API so that writing a
real Product doesn't seem so daunting. Maybe we should consider further
segmenting the Zope Framework so that you can pick and choose the pieces
you want.

I think this is a fairly deep question, and hopefully we can learn more
about what some answers might be as people outside DC get more experience
with Zope.

Zope's-not-right-for-absolutely-everything-but-Bobo-is-ly yrs,

-Amos