[Zope] - Zope Ports

Dave Goodrich DAve@mail.netraven.com
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 19:45:34 -0800

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Jeff Bauer scratched:
>>> My first thought as well (Linux box)  and Zope starts, but not
>> on Port 80.
>
>To run port 80 on Unix you'll have to be root, which is probably
>not a good idea for development, if you can avoid it.
>
>these-days-everyone-gets-to-be-"super"-user-ly yr's,
>
>Jeff Bauer

Now I'm confused, had to happen didn't it?

1)  Can't install Zope as root because my machine doesn't run as root.  Check.
2)  Install Zope as me and Zope runs now, can start and stop.  Check.
3)  Can't run Zope on port 80 unless I'm root.  No Check.

Why is development on port 80 bad?  I've done it many times on a spare IP
address with Webstar and QPQ and Webten.  When eveything works I move the site
to an address with the proper domain.

Is this a Unix thing I should know about?  Do I need to create a user with
root access to control Zope and su <zopeuser>  whenever I need to maintain the
Zope directory?

DAve.