[Zope] - Virtual servers

Dave Goodrich DAve@mail.netraven.com
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:21:45 -0800

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Andreas Kostyrka scratched:
>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Dave Goodrich wrote:
snip

/snip
>> Zope could make the static page, delivered from disk, old hat, good for
>> archival uses.  The ability to deliver every page on the fly makes using a
>> seperate server a burden, Apache would be only a  path to Zope.  Why not let
>> Zope stand alone?
>Because there are small things like SSL (crypto done right is not trivial
>by default, and would bring Zope users into the international arms dealer
>category.). mod_rewrite in it's own right is ALSO interesting, ...

Does EVERY website use SSL?  Must SSL be handled from the same server in every
instance?

>Than there is http/1.1, which is not trivial to get right, witness the
>fact that IE still doesn't get it right in extreme cases :(

Then Zope is not capable a HTTP 1.1?

>Dealing with static sites. (If you want
>ZopeHTTPServer on port 80, than it must also deal with the occasional
>static website, as many (PAYING) customers will want such a beast :( )
>
>Dealing with external CGIs. (``No, I've paid $XXX to let this be
>developed, so now we'll use it.'')
>
>Than there is marketing and public relations. (``So you are using what
>Webserver? Zope? Why are you not using Apache?'')

It was not that long ago people said "Internet Information Server will never
have the market share of Apache".

>Additionally, you have NOT given one good argument why to do
away with >Apache. Anything you've mentioned is also available with
apache/pcgi :) >
>Andreas

Yes it is, but it also could be done without Apache.  I believe, mind you it's
opinion, that Medusa offers several advantages over Apache.  Have you looked at
the website?  http://squirl.nightmare.com/medusa/

I don't think Zope should NOT run behind Apache, there are a lot of people who
would benifit from it's abilities.  Certainly there are plenty of Web admins
who have a large customer base on Apache and want to add Zope's capabilities to
their arsenal.

But there are also those of us who do not have a customer base on Apache, I'm
interested in using Zope to build a web application, I don't need Apache, I'm
here because of Zope's built in server and I'd like to see the server abilities
extended as well as Zopes other assets.

There is more than one way to skin a cat ;^)

DAve.