[Zope] - Virtual servers

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 00:19:53 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Dave Goodrich wrote:

> Does EVERY website use SSL?  Must SSL be handled from the same server in every
EVERY Zope site SHOULD (or depending upon policy MUST) use SSL, as it
transmits basic auth info, which equals to clear text passwords over the
wire without using https.

So yes. Especially, as with Zope you cannot just rsync/ssh your data onto
the server.

> instance?
>
> >Than there is http/1.1, which is not trivial to get right, witness the
> >fact that IE still doesn't get it right in extreme cases :(
> >
> Then Zope is not capable a HTTP 1.1?
Nope. That depends upon the Webserver. And ZopeHTTPServer is HTTP/1.0.

But that's basically my point: It depends upon the Webserver.

> It was not that long ago people said "Internet Information Server will never
> have the market share of Apache".
Since does it have it?

> >Additionally, you have NOT given one good argument why to do
> away with >Apache. Anything you've mentioned is also available with
> apache/pcgi :) >
> >Andreas
>
> Yes it is, but it also could be done without Apache.  I believe, mind you it's
> opinion, that Medusa offers several advantages over Apache.  Have you looked at
> the website?  http://squirl.nightmare.com/medusa/
Hmmm. Still nobody explained to me how to handle ``long'' tasks correctly
and easily with Medusa.
(With long tasks I mean say tarring up some files, or doing a SQL query
 that may take say 2-3 seconds.)

> There is more than one way to skin a cat ;^)
Without question ;) But I'd rather say that a well working Zope
application server is more important at the moment that writing an
fullfledged Webserver that happens to be only usable with Zope.
(And it is not that trivial, HTTP/1.0, HTTP/1.1, NamedVirtualHosts,
 IP-based hosts, etc., AND there is a nice implementation of this already,
 it's called Apache ;) )

Andreas
--
Win95: n., A huge annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by