[Zope] - Why I don't think Zope will work for me

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:42:02 -0500

Andreas wrote:
> filesystem (if I'm allowed too). Even better I can upload an
> .tar.gz of
> the whole site at once, ...

You can do this with Zope and the database as well.  Just write
something that takes an HTTP upload file and unravels everything into
Zope objects.

> Not really. FTP is not acceptable as it unencrypted. ;) That

Do you think your position is the common view, or do you feel that most
web site tools and ISPs use FTP as the publishing protocol?

Instead of arguing about different approaches to solving the problem, I
woner if anyone agrees what the problem is?

Does the original poster want to be able to use his editor of choice?
His site management tool of choice?  Load a bunch of things at one time
by working offline and doing batch update?

I expect us to support all of those things.  I would also like to see
the community work on some sample packages.  But our approach will be to
stay within the object system.  Treating the information as data that
can be manipulated outside of the object system, outside the business
rules and transaction manager, winds up busting a lot of the value that
Zope tries to deliver.

> Actually, I've come up with a tiny Zope replacement :)

If you're using Zope, then you're using Bobo.  You've come up with a
Zope package and we certainly encourage you to share it with everyone.

Just because Zope includes an object database DOES NOT mean that
everyone has to use it.  Just because Zope includes integration with
relational database DOES NOT meant that everyone has to use relational
databases.  Just because Zope includes integration with Apache DOES NOT
mean that Zope only supports Apache ...

I'd be thrilled to see someone contribute a package that lets
administrators optionally merge in data stored on the filesystem.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909