[Zope] - Why I don't think Zope will work for me

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:58:56 -0500

> Curtis Galloway wrote:
> >
> > I learned through painful experience that having your
> project data in text
> > files in a filesystem is a Good Thing.  You can use
> standard UNIX tools to
> > manipulate these files.  You can use EMACS or vi or any
> other tool to edit
> > them.  And most importantly, you can use CVS or RCS or any
> other similar tool
> > for source control.
> >
> > I just don't see how you can build a large project with
> multiple developers
> > using a Netscape browser as your editing tool, unless I'm
> missing something
> > very obvious about the way Zope works.
>
> (Jim)
> We do it all the time.  Of course, I'd much *rather* use emacs as
> my editing tool.  When Zope has FTP support, then this will
> be possible.
> Actually, when FTP support lands, a number of interesting
> scenarios will
> be possible.

Note that possible future WebDAV support would also solve many
of the issues you note above:

  o _requires_ a secure connection as part of the spec

  o DAV has specific support for versioning and distributed
    authoring by multiple users. There are some interesting
    future possibilities -- it's not unthinkable that you could
    have WebDAV-enabled Zope objects based on a real cvs
    repository.

  o At a minimum, WebDAV clients should give you a better editing
    environment, if not let you choose your editor yourself.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909