[Zope] - Why I don't think Zope will work for me

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:18:34 -0500

John Eikenberry wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
>
> > That's why I've build my own ``little'' (perhaps tiny would describe it
> > better) Zope Clone, using only Bobo&DocumentTemplate. As you've notices
> > I've left out BoboPOS, so you can guess where I'm storing my data.
> > Yes, on the filesystem. (Not completly correct, as I'm using an
> > filestorage API, I could (at least in theory) store the whole site or part
> > of it somewhere else, be it an SQL server, be it something else ;) )
>
> Once BoboPOS3 is out, with its cleaned up and stabilized API, wouldn't it
> be possible to build a replacement for it that uses the filesystem instead
> of the binary format?

I'm not sure what you mean by "replacement for it".

> I thought one of the features of the new BoboPOS was
> that it would allow alternative storage methods...

It provides an abstract low-level storage interface.
This interface maps opaque ids to pickles.

People who want to use the file system don't want
opaque ids and pickles.  They want file paths and
text files.

I could imagine fitting some file-based "database"
into the ZODB framework, although it would need to interface
at a higher level.  One significant disconnect is that
in the ZODB way of thinking, storage location is independent
of location in the objects space.  For a file-system-based
database, the two would be tightly connected.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.