[Zope] - Zope for the Impatient

LD Landis ldl@LDL.HealthPartners.COM
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:34:23 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

  How about making a "crappy", "poorly produced", real "T-shirt style" VHS
  tape of a session creating some small application where a simple object
  design is done through implementation...  Sort of along the lines of me
  just walking into your offices (DCers in particular), asking you to
  demonstrate Zope to me, and you just sitting down at the keyboard, and
  allowing me to run my camera to record what is going on... have some
  "newbie" there to ask "dumb questions", etc... Get into "trouble" so that
  we can see the debugger in action (person and tool)...

  Just a thought...  BTW, I have my check book along, and a stamped
  envelope (without address) that I was going to use to order Linux Journal
  today... but if this were to be available... Heck, you make the tape, and
  I'll dup/mail it to Zopesters at cost (or less) for a while...  The tape
  could be "anonymous" if you wanted so that there would be no association
  or negative reflection with DC...  Something quick and dirty to be
  replaced by more "formal" presentation, if DC ever thought it was needed.

  I'm not frustrated by what I've been able to download from Zope.org, but
  I am really thinking that if I could just "watch over the shoulder" of
  some Zope guru (Jim/Amos/Brian/Paul/all/any/other) for 5 to 10 minutes...
  that all the gaps I keep running into would seal up for me...

  I read/ask/try, get past one, hit the next... not sure what I've learned,
  what I haven't learned...

  Building a small gadfly based telephone directory that has some active
  logic in it (e.g. verify state code via stored procedure, have a "daemon"
  that sends e-mail about upcoming birthdays, have something that ensures
  specific fields are entered)... that'd be wonderful.

  My problem is I'm not clear in what I'm looking for relative to the
  Object nature of things... Is it "the same" as non-object, or is there
  something "more better" that the navigation of the Zope interface
  provides?

--
Cheers,
	--ldl