[Zope] - Why I don't think Zope will work for me

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:47:26 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Would you allow both through the web editing and file system editing?
I allow both. Actually, that depends. I'm hosting some webservers where I
do not allow local filesystem level access. (Although there is a Unix user
behind the server, it does not have a password ("*"), nor a shell
("/bin/false"). What it does have is a home directory for the data, and an
uid for quota.

> How would this interact with CVS?
Very well :) edit trough the Web is just another kind of edit.

But this whole thing depends heavily upon staging servers (I know, that's
against the Z Zen.), and staging server work very well in our model where
we do have usually only dialup access. I know, that might not be a concern
in the US with free (as in free beer) local phone calls, BUT it matters
here around. (Even if Internet access is relativly cheap at about
USD4/hour during office hours in Austria.)

> Right, but you can export and import just the parts of the site you are
> working on.
But many people prefer use known tools :)
I've got more than one talk where the customer has some REALLY stupid
misconception about what they want to use. (Boy, was that talk
interesting, about porting Bobo to the Java Servlet API. And no, I'm not
talking about JPython :( )

> > > It might be interesting if you or someone else came up with a kind of
> > > Zope folder that simply got it's objects from a file-system directory.
> > > Presumably, the subobjects would be made available as Zope objects that
> > > played within the Framework, but were actually stored in the file system.
> > Actually, I've come up with a tiny Zope replacement :)
>
> It is important to note that Zope includes technology formerly knows
> as Bobo as well as the higher level Zope framework.
>
> If you use ZPublisher and DocumentTemplate, you are using Zope. :)
I'm using Bobo and DocumentTemplate's of pre Zope vintage :) As such we
are not using Z ;)

Andreas
--
Win95: n., A huge annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by