[Zope] - Zope for the Impatient

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:52:18 -0500

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 10:45:57AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

> LD wrote:
> > [Begs for a videotape of Digicool people half-naked frollicing with
> >  pythons :-) ]
>
> First, I think what Amos wrote yesterday is the start of something
> really, really good.  As long as we keep improving it and applying more
> time in that direction, I expect it to provide the foothold people need
> to get started.

Definately, I've got some feedback for Amos that I need to write up.
And I've got bizarre problems of my own---no besides THOSE :-)  Can we
put this up as an HTML document? I'll happily format it if necessary...
but it looks like it's pretty close to passing through StructuredText.

> Now to your point, I think you're on to something with "recorded"
> tutorials, though I don't like the videotape part.

I agree, and QuickTime copies would be too big if they were at any
resolution of any use...

> I've long used Lotus ScreenCam as a backup for making presentations.  It
> allows me to "record" a screen session with all the screen events, as
> well as adding audio narration and captioning.

I agree with your problems, and I've had large-scale failure of them.
Anyone know what Dan Bricklin is up to these days?  He had some cool
stuff in the DOS era for exactly this topic.

> Thus I'd like to see if anyone here has alternative experience.  I'd
> like something that:
>
> o Allowed me to record screen events with synchronized audio narration
>
> o Recordings are streamed in a bandwidth-friendly fashion
>
> o Players are available *at least* for Windows and Linux

Um, forgive me my transgressions, but could you use PowerPoint for this
application... quite honestly, I'm not sure how much use seeing Jim
Fulton (no offense) would be, but it would be nice to see screen shots
of all the steps along the way, as the forms are filled out... (BTW, I
don't think this would work for the developer side, jsut the user side).

Just a thought... this would also make a good introduction for a
conference... you can shove PowerPoint onto the web without much trouble
last I checked.

Chris