[Zope] - OK enough fo the file tree thing

Magnus Lie Hetland Magnus.Hetland@idi.ntnu.no
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:12:33 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Christopher G. Petrilli wrote:

> <FLAME>

Hm... :)

> It's an OBJECT publishign system, not a file publishing system.

Okay... But you *do* edit some of the source of these objects, no? When
you edit the document methods you behave much like when editing Python
code etc. That is also object oriented, but still uses the file system...
Personally I think that an FTP connection or something similar is enough
(for me) as I then could use a decent editor (which a TEXTAREA certainly
is not). Someone talked about mounting the FTP server or something --
maybe it could be used as a "fake" file system, with the object DB
underneath? I'm not sure what is needed on the client side to make this
work, but if you could get your un*x to believe that it was a remote file
server or something, then you *could* use a lot of the diff'ing and stuff
on the editable parts of the objects -- isn't that so? And it would all
still be stored in its native Object DB...

--

  Magnus
  Lie