[Zope] Building dtml objects now...

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:34:28 -0400

Andrew wrote:
> Im finally starting to build some DTML objects for Dreamweaver, and I
> wondered if folks could tell me what their "wish - list" might be for
> this.

This is fantastic news!  Unfortunately I don't know too much about
Dreamweaver so I'll have to go over and talk to Jeffrey.

> For example for the VAR tag, do you really want to have to specify all
> those attributes or should there be a secondary simpler
> object that just
> inserts a <!--#var something -->

I've been told this is a classic question in the SGML world -- should a
tag have a bunch of attributes or should the attributes be nested tags?

> Someday when/if dreamweaver get's webdav savvy Ill have the var object
> obtain a list of all available variables at that level and
> allow you to
> just "choose" one.

This brings up a bit of a problem that I wonder how Dreamweaver can
address it.

If I go to zope.foo/Me/MyDocument, I get the _rendered_ version of
MyDocument.  If I want to edit MyDocument, I want to edit the
_unrendered_ version.  Brian has been talking about this in WebDAV.  But
I don't know enough about how Dreamweaver interacts with the things it
is editing...

> The possibilites are there.

Hmm, if you could just embed Python in Dreamweaver, then use our Python
webdav client code, ... :^)

--Paul