[Zope] Sorry, an error occured. LinuxPPC

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:25:24 -0500

At 10:24 PM -0600 4/1/99, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>Hello,

<snip of previous woes>

>Anyway... I start up ZopeHTTPServer with:
># python serve.py
>
>It runs appropriately. I open up Netscape and login and go the manage screen.
>
>I click on the Control Panel.
>I click on database management and get this error.
>
>Sorry, an error occured.
>
>I go back to the Control Panel and click on Shutdown and get this error.
>
>Sorry, an error occured.

<more snipping>

I searched my email archives of Zope for 'Permission denied' which I found
in the traceback which I found as suggested by Michel.
  "error: (13, 'Permission denied')"

There weren't but a couple of messages with such, but one caught my attention.

Jeff Bauer was talking about someone running Zope as root.
As I am still a clueless newbie with Linux, I hadn't added any users yet.

Well I reinstalled Linux, yes again. For me it is easier than trying to
find extraneous files and removing them as I experiment with setup and
configuration.
I have to keep my drive reasonably clean as it is only a 1gig partition.

I adduser'd jimmie.

I then installed KDE 1.1 set it up and configured it.
Now I have a setup I can grok. :)
My penguin is happy.

Installed Zope as root. It told me jimmie didn't have permission. :)
Need to learn more about permissions.
Tried Zope as root. Same errors.

Logged in as jimmie. Tried Zope. Success.

Thanks Jeff and Michel. :)

Now time to get into it.

Jimmie Houchin