[Zope] Object DB Capacity

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:21:34 -0400

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 09:17:06AM -0700, Craig Villamor wrote:
> We are currently in the process of building a site with Zope that we
> anticipate will have a large object database. We have some concerns about
> scalability as the database continues to grow.

There are two factors at work here:

	1. Number of objects (especially versions, I believe)
	2. Size of the database in raw size

I've built a "personal" Zope database that gets beat pretty heavily
that's 180Mb, but I don't consider that to be that large.  I'm sure Paul
or Jim can speak to some of the larger projects DC has done.

> Is it possible to have multiple Zope servers, each with a subset of
> objects, working together to "load balance"? How about multiple object
> databases on one zope installation?

The accurate answer is "maybe" ;-) You could certainly have multiple
Zope instances running on the same machine---I regularly run 3-4 of them
to try different thinsg out.  Multiple object-databases in "one"
installation is a bit tricker.  If you mean multiple databases that
appear as one object tree, then, well, the answer is "no" right now.  I
have a few ideas about this oen, but nothing more than that at this
point.

CHris