[Zope] Zope to plain html

Karl Fast fast@lights.com
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:31:45 -0600 (CST)

> I'm willing to make my site in Zope. I see several benefits from it. And I
> will use it at my own server... but, unfortunately, our hospital wants to
> place some pages also on another server.... and yes.... they don't want to
> use Zope... :-(((.
>
> So is it possible... To convert my Zope pages to some plain html files?

Zope is highly scriptable, so wouldn't it in theory be possible to write
something that let's you "publish" your site to say, an FTP server, as
static files?

I'm really new to Zope and don't know Python (yet) and am trying to get my
mind around this. I spent some time using Frontier and before it went hog
wild into dynamic publishing, it was basically a really nice templating
tool (Ok, it was more than that, but for web developers....). You created
all your pages and lots of embedded code and other objects in your
Frontier database, which is similar to the Zope DB. Then you did a
"publish site" on your tree in the database. The program rendered a series
of static HTML pages and images and whatever else you had onto your hard
drive which you could then upload via FTP. With version 5 and now 6,
Frontier has moved to something that is more like Zope. But couldn't Zope
move backwards a bit and work like Frontier does for those who need it?

I can see quite a few uses for this. Zope is your development tool, but
not your delivery mechanism. This would be really useful because now I can
use Zope for more clients and more situations.

Something like this could be useful for other tasks as well. Such as
automatically taking content from a Zope site and sending to somewhere
else (mail, ftp, andother WebDAV server, CVS, etc). I'm quite sure it can
be done, but I don't know if it already has, but if not, I don't have
enough Zope knowledge to even attempt it.

karl fast                                       fast@lights.com