[Zope] Re: ZopeHTTP speed problem.

Stefan Franke sfranke@cdc-group.com
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:58:24 +0200

since it contains a problem report and a proposal/question
concerning both]

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:57:32 GMT, befletch@my-dejanews.com wrote:

[...]
> I found I have to use
>my machine's numeric IP address, not 'localhost' as the docs indicate.

Do you get the long response times even *with* using your
localhost's IP address?

I once had a similar problem with response times even up to
a minute for each HTTP request, and I found out that it was
due to the logging mechanism in the standard library's
BaseHTTPServer.py:

BaseHTTPRequestHandler.log_message calls the
address_string function, which does a reverse name lookup
of the request's IP address. If neither yout DNS nor the
etc/hosts table (it lives in \WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
on a NT machine, don't know about 95/98) are configured
correctly, timeouts occur on each request.

There are two calls to address_string in Zope, one in
BaseHTTPRequestHandler.log_message and one in
ZopeHTTPServer.BoboRequestHandler.get_environment

Both can be changed to self.client_address[0], so that
only IP addresses are used for logging and the
REMOTE_HOST environment variable is never set.

What I would appreciate is to make this behaviour
configurable, but it would require changes to both
BaseHTTPRequestHandler and BoboRequestHandler.

Any ideas?

Stefan