[Zope] Feature requests and questions

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:13:59 -0400

I've thought about #4, but haven't had any time to realize any code over
it.  My idea was to use Medusa as a frontend into an imap server based
on ZODB.  I think a prototype with incomplete/minimal IMAP functionality
could be demonstrated in a couple days with good models.

The concept would be a protcol-interpreter application which accessed
objects in a persistent database.  Creating mailboxes would use Zope's
container and aquisition philosopy, and individual messages could be
persistent instances of custom wrapped rfc822.Message objects.

Zope's indexing machenery could be used as a big win compared to other
imap servers.  Most imap servers (that i've seen) allways take the brute
force approach to mail searching, which makes them a bit chuggy when
searching through very large mailboxes.  'Insert Mysterious Zope/IMAP
Server Here' could index all the messages as they're added to boxes.

Medusa could then act as the frontend ZServer style to the imap
database.

-Michel