[Zope] publishing question

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:16:25 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:51:34 -0400,
Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com> said:

Michel> This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but 1.10.2 is
Michel> only tested with Python 1.5.1.  Otherwise, I don't have much
Michel> experience with using the publishing features of Netscape.

Do you think I should back off to Python 1.5.1?

Michel> You must use ZServer to get the FTP ability.  This is because,
Michel> of course, Apache and other web servers aren't FTP servers, so
Michel> there is no way for Zope to interact with them.  ZServer is a
Michel> general purpose tcp/ip server (the full blown system it's based
Michel> on is called Medusa) which we have written HTTP and FTP
Michel> extensions for (based on the stock Medusa protocol handlers).

OK I see. How does ZServer performance compare with Apache pcgi Zope?
Medus sounds like it's pretty high performance.

Michel> <opinion> ZServer and Emacs is the hands down best way to
Michel> 'manually' edit things in Zope.  The idea of 'WYSIWYG' editors
Michel> is a good one, but as has been pointed out, often they make lots
Michel> of assumptions about the filenames, they're picky and flakey
Michel> about acutally publishing, and they just want to do things their
Michel> way.  This often results in 'WYSINNWYAWAYCFI' (What you see is
Michel> nowhere near what you actually wanted and you can't fix it).
Michel> Emacs supports the concept of 'WYSIWYM', What you see is what
Michel> you *mean* (A powerful concept brought to us by the TeX people).
Michel> You can allways use your favorite WYSIWYG tool to generate the
Michel> HTML, and then cut and paste it into a really killer tool like
Michel> Emacs.  </opinion>

I'm 100% with you there. I particularly like the python-mode.el for
Emacs. But using one's favorite editor implies either uploading with FTP
or with HTTP-put, correct? Just making sure I understand all the options
:-)

Thanks,

Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA