[Zope] [off topic] question?

Shaolin trafik@torped.se
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:43:49 +0200

> Well - I think this is merely a marketing reason. Sun did a lot of
> marketing
> with Java. Moreover I have to remind that Java is not the only language
> that
> offers web applets: A short time after HotJava, Grail was released -
> this is
> a web browser entirely written in Python with the capability of Python
> applets.
> The problem with Grail is that it is rather slow, moreover it never
> gained the
> publicity of HotJava but the idea itself is great.
>
> What I would like to see is a plugin for Netscape/IE that enables the
> webbrowser
> to run Python applets, but it seems that no one is interested in this.
> (At least
> I never heard of such a project)

Applets are not what you want really (too much 1997-something).

It would probably be better with a plugin doing
python script-handling: <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Python">.

And making the DOM accessable from Python-scripts.

It accualy be rather exciting because the object origentation
in JavaScript (EMCA) is not at Pythons level.

Even greater would be a Zope-browser with clientside object
presistans. Zope-DOM maybe?

The problem is that the users don't care about
Python (nor Java) and to get them to download
a plug-in just to access your website.

Best Regards,
Johan Carlsson