[Zope] OFF-TOPIC: CORBA and application servers

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:46:23 -0500

Paul Everitt <paul@digicool.com> wrote:

> Here's an analysis of the OMG's plans for CORBA 3:
>
>   http://www.objectwatch.com/issue19.htm
>
> Though obviously subjective and impassioned, I agree with most of what
> the author says.  The OMG has abandoned language-neutrality.
>
> I was sad to see Richard Soley, whom Jim and I worked with 3 years ago,
> try to tie application servers, Java, and the OMG together.  At any
> rate, CORBA's current level of adaptation is quite low, and now that OMG
> has become a marketing organization for Sun, I think it's time to dispel
> any notions that CORBA support is critical.
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> --Paul

As an active CORBA developer in 3 languages (C++ / Java / Python), and one hard
at work on bridging Zope to my CORBA stuff, I have to differ.

Sessions' anti-CORBA bias is well-known within CORBA circles:  he was lead
architect for the Persistent Object CORBA spec, which was roundly rejected by
implementers after his team delivered it, late and crippled.  He has been
actively promoting COM/DCOM ever since, is a frequent presenter at Micros~1
FUDfests, etc.

CORBA is not "about" application servers, nor has it abandoned
language-neutrality (the C++ mapping is the most widely used, and probabaly will
remain so for the next 3-5 years in production systems).  We should take
pronouncements of ivory tower theorists with a large block of salt;  the
community is dedicated to the "rough consensus and _working_ code" model of
standards development which enabled the Internet protocols total victory over
the "sanctioned / blessed" ISO standards.  The OMG is hardly a marketing arm for
Sun;  standards bodies don't work like that.

Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com