[Zope] Acquisition confusion

Richard Jones richard.jones@fulcrum.com.au
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:32:12 +1000

Hi all,

   I have a system which comprises a folder and three subfolders. They make a
DVD catalog system (it's a test application to see how useful Zope is). The
folders are dvd/owned, dvd/wanted and dvd/loans. Each folder defines the
behavior of the owned, wanted and loans gadfly tables for the dvd system. Up
until now I've been pretty happy with defining various sql methods, DTML, etc.
to handle those tables. Some acquisition has been used to define methods for
all three folders (these are placed in the 'dvd' folder).

   My problem is that I have now defined a DTML Document called 'line_info' in
the 'loans' folder which figures a simple bit of text giving a summary of the
availability of a DVD and the number of people waiting to borrow it. It does
that by calling an SQL method a few times with different arguments. The SQL
method is invoked like this:

     <!--#in "info_wh_sql(wh='''borrowed='' and dvdid='%s' '''%dvdid)"-->

   This works fine when called as '.../dvd/loans/line_info?dvdid=11' or
similar. When invoked from the 'owned' folder to integrate that info into the
listing of all DVDs, things break. I embed the line_info with

     <!--#var "loans.line_info(dvdid=11)"-->

   This breaks because it can't find the SQL method that line_info uses. If I
move the SQL method out of 'owned' into 'dvd' it still can't find the SQL
method. I thought acquisition would be able to find the SQL method fine.
Without the SQL method call, it all works. I even tried changing the SQL method
call to "loans.info_wh_sql" with no success - that even broke it for the URL
that worked before...

   Any ideas?

       Richard

--
Richard Jones,  developer for the Fulcrum Consulting Group.   (03) 9621 2100
http://www.fulcrum.com.au/                  http://www.bofh.asn.au/~richard/