[Zope] Z-ODB or SQL?

Alex Rice alrice@swcp.com
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:40:31 -0600 (MDT)

Does there exist a demo application which shows how one would use Z-ODB
for creating, sorting and searching through a collection of objects?

I have read the technical docs for Z-ODB, but there is still a big gap
in my understanding between that and what I'm seeing in the rest of the
Zope docs (Manager's guide, FAQs, HowToos, etc).

Question: Is it true one could create a collection of python objects
which would get stored in Z-ODB, and those objects would define __cmp__
and other functions for the object and it's composed parts, then you can
do some rudimentary sorting and searching on the collection via normal
python code -- Is that the general idea? Or is there more of a
collections framework than what exists in the classes DB, Connection,
Persistent, Transaction?

I am so used to working with SQL, that I could use a good example or
demo to break me out of thinking in terms of rows/tables.  I would like
*not* to use SQL, but at this point it seems like a much more rapid
solution for my project.

Any suggestions, or pointers to a Zope product that illustrates the
advantages of using Z-ODB over Zope w/ SQL?

Thanks,

Alex Rice    |    alrice@swcp.com    |    http://www.swcp.com/~alrice
    Current Location: N. Rio Grande Bioregion, Southwestern USA