[Zope] ASP vs Zope

Tom Deprez Tom.Deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:49:03 +0200

Goodmorning all,

Yesterday evening I had a course of ASP.

I saw some small demo's to give a quick impression of what you can do with
ASP. I guess this should also be a great idea for Zope. I'm going to give
it a try, but maybe somebody can help me to go in the correct direction.

First, these q'n :

 Can ASP be used with Zope. i.e. I suppose Zope can work together with IIS?
 They said that CGI gives to much problems (for every connection a new one
is started etc)
  I guess that's why Zope uses a Persistant CGI (if not using ZServer or
HTTPServer)? Or Is directly working with HTTPServer so that the connection
keeps on, during the logon of a user?

What I find of ASP is that it is quiet easy to understand to get started
with some objects. But thats perhaps my background is Microsoft.

But, is it needed? Let's give it a try. See how these things can be done
with Zope :

Demo 1:

 A page displays the time & date and shows a sentence from fontheight 1 to 7.

 The printing of the sentence is done iterative :
  I believe <% for iFontSize= 1 to 7
                    .... %>

Demo 2:

 A form askes the name and age, + humour (checkbox).
 The form checks the entered values and complaints if something is wrong :

  Checks if age is a number. Then checks age is > 0 and <120

 If wrong data is entered, the previous values are still available in the
form.
 i.e. The user only has to change the wrong value and doesn't has to
reënter the complete form.

Demo 3:

users are added into a database. Then users can click on urls, so that only
the humoures are shown/ the non-humoures and all persons are shown.

(Everything is written in one .asp file)

Demo 4:

Security. Done with a session object. A name is asked. When the name is in
the database a picture is shown. When the name isn't in the database. The
person isn't allowed to view the picture.

If somebody has some scripts available of the above. Please let me know
(and if I can use them).

Thanks, Tom.