[Zope] Creating a New Object Type - Use ZClass or Python?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:17:08 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Bernstein <mbernstein@profitscape.net>
To: Kevin Dangoor <kid@kendermedia.com>
Cc: Anthony Pfrunder <s341625@student.uq.edu.au>; eric jones
<ej@ee.duke.edu>; zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>; paul@digicool.com
<paul@digicool.com>; rob.page@digicool.com <rob.page@digicool.com>
Date: Monday, August 02, 1999 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Creating a New Object Type - Use ZClass or Python?

>Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>> If there was a way to "link" from one ZClass instance to another, then
you
>> could have an Author object for each author and just have the publication
>> point to the Author object. There are certainly ways to do this
>> programmatically now, it's just not automatic. This way, an Author could
>> have other properties (contact info, website address, etc.) if desired,
and
>> those properties are only stored in one place.
>
>I have already submitted this to the collector:
>http://www.zope.org/Collector/380/view
>
>But was informed that this was a low priority item, and that it had been
>downgraded in status to 'wish'.
>
>Since I think that this is a VERY important feature, I am willing to put my
>money where my mouth is and cough up some $$$ to get this done.
Consequently I
>have three questions:

[questions deleted]

I am about to start working on some code that will require the ability to
link from one object to another. While I think having something nicely
integrated in Zope to link to an object is ultimately the way to go, for now
I'll just use a string property to store the URL. And I think I saw a
function in ZCatalog.py that would map from a URL to an object. This is not
*as* nice as an integrated feature, but it seems functional enough for my
purposes.

So, my point is this: I agree it is important, but there are workarounds
today.

Kevin