[Zope] Zope and Editors

Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:26:25 +1000

>>> Stephan Richter wrote
> But here my question:
> I do not want to use a HTML textarea to edit my code. I prefer to use emacs.
> How do you use external editors with Zope? Do you import files all the time?
> Or do you copy and paste? Both of these solutions are not desirable, since
> I check my code every few minutes. I would spend more time uploading to the
> system.

couple of options here (hmm, these should be pulled out of the email
archive and turned into a HOWTO - no, don't look at me :)
(note that I talk zero credit (or blame) for any of the following ideas)

* Zope allows you to ftp in and upload DTML and images and the like.
  emacs allows you to edit files on a remote ftp filesystem, using
  EFS (?) (someone who uses this please give me a sample of emacs syntax?)
  You could also use any other form of ftp browser/text browser that allows
  you to transparently edit remote files via ftp - I'd be suprised if
  KDE or GNOME didn't have this.

* Zope has Webdav support - does emacs? IE5 does (well, if you read the
  zope-checkins list and see Brian's commit messages, IE5 sorta has
  webdav support)

* Netscape's HTML textarea widget has some limited number of emacs
  keybindings. This is what I use, because I hate the full emacs with
  a passion. If mozilla allowed me to embed nvi (the OneTrueVi) into
  a html textarea widget, I'd be a happy bunny :)

* You could write something that let you edit text files, and batch
  uploaded (either via ftp, or via the Zope Client interface) the
  files.

Anyone else got other bits to add?

Anthony