[Zope] External Methods

Jens Vagelpohl tommymi@concentric.net
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:58:26 -0400

that's an interesting point. i have this ongoing discussion with one of my
best friends who does webdesign and web-programming (nothing on a real
programming language level like perl or python) for a living. he swears by
cold fusion.

now, is zope really what cold fusion wants to be? i have to plead ignorance
when it comes to using cold fusion, i never tried it. from what this friend
keeps telling me it looks like cold fusion allows you to do the fancy
shmancy graphics stuff pretty well with WYSIWIG editors and such. i don't
think that's the road zope is going itself, zope as i see it is more about
enabling, programming, and basically being the workhorse back-end to those
graphics.

of course this friend and i have discussed this quite often and we kid each
other about what our favorite products can and can't do. in terms of the
ability to use real programming, like zope, he says he doesn't want to get
into it, or even shouldn't have to. for him it's the ability to present a
winning design and do some point and click to connect to the database. time
is money. i on the other hand love that programming stuff and can't stop
having new and neat ideas about what to program.

i think cold fusion and zope have a much-different philosophy. it's really
hard to compare the two.

just my $0.02 :)

jens

Jens Vagelpohl