[Zope] The new DTML syntax

Jeffrey Shell Jeffrey@digicool.com
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:03:22 -0400

Alexander Staubo against hyphenation
> mind works best with individual words. Why go against the grain and
> teach the brain a new thing?

It makes sense to me.  It lets me read DTML/HTML source and pick out
what's DTML and what isn't.  The syntax has in no way bothered my brain,
my fingers, or my reasoning in the slightest, and more of my editors are
now tought to understand it.  I see no reason to introduce yet another
syntax so we can learn new works like "dtin" (is the dt silent?).

And if you think it's too long, wait until XML floods everywhere.  XML
hates shortcuts.  Just think, no more confusion over the difference
between <dtml-in "gamma"> VS <dtml-in gamma> when the whole world is in
<dtml:in expr="gamma"><dtml:var name="sequence-item"/></dtml:in>.  How
many questions do we see on the list when someone quoted something
(using the "expr" shortcut) that they intended to not quote (using the
"name" shortcut), and got an error when python tried to subtract item
from sequence?  :)