[Zope] Zope and Japanese (was [Zope] Confera FAQ?)

Brian Hooper brian@garage.co.jp
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:35:30 +0900

Hi Itai!

This is Brian Hooper at Digital Garage.  I worked on SonicNet Japan
with Jay.

> I'm about to start work on some Japanese sites. Can you tell me if
> you ran into any problems mixing Zope and Japanese?

Not really - there are a few small issues with character encoding.

You should use EUC for everything, if possible; Python doesn't work
properly with Shift-JIS without patching and rebuilding Python (these
patches are not official, I think someone contributed patches to make
Python safe with SJIS).

I think depending on your machine and OS environment you may have to add
a timezone mapping or two to DateTime.py, also.  And in order to send
out 7-bit JIS mail using MailHost, that has to be patched as well.  If
you're interested, maybe we could share patches :-) .

--Brian