[Zope] ZServer lockups

jason@brahms.siteprotect.com jason@brahms.siteprotect.com
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:33:35 -0500

> A number of folks have posted about Zope lock up issues. It is very
> important to me to resolve this issues.
>
> When ZServer occasionally locks up for me, it usually because I did
> something that's causing the publishing process to hang. This happens when
> you are coding external methods or Python products and make certain kinds
> of mistakes that put Zope in a loop.

I finally tracked down my problem.  Some of the python code that I
have written was falling into an infinite loop, and it had nothing
to do with Zope.  Of course, given how cool we all agree that Zope
is, shouldn't it prevent these stupid programming problems :-)

One question, though.  Since ZServer is multithreaded, should just
the thread that is handling the python code that falls into the loop
get stuck?  Shouldn't the other threads keep on working?  Or does
the one thread simply consume all of the available cycles?

Thanks for any insight on this, and thanks to all for contributing
to Zope.

-jason

Jason Abate
jason@hostway.com