[Zope] Running an External Method as another user

Timothy Grant tjg@avalongroup.net
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:45:55 -0700

Hi folk!

I've been messing around with providing some simple network
administration tools via Zope, to the people in my office.

One thing I would like to do is create a page that will allow my users
to change both their "normal" Linux password (used by most people in my
office for mail only) and their Samba password (used by almost everybody
in the office for connectivity to our server). It's quite easy to  train
these people how to change one or the other of the passwords, but
getting them to change both at the same time has been a problem. Hence,
my desire to write a Zope app that will--given their existing password,
and a new password--update both the passwd file and the smbpasswd file.

I didn't think very far ahead, and while I have some nice tools that use
Expect to change the password, I haven't figured out how to run an
External Method as someone other than nobody.

Any suggestions?

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.