[Zope] Fwd: Re: Python CGI Scripts (Re: [Zope] Giving up in frustration)

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:39:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Patrick Phalen wrote:

> >From today's Python List:

> Subject: Re: Python CGI Scripts
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:24:42 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Jonathon <jblake@stamp-coin.com>
>

> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Rudi Angela wrote:
>
> >Yep, have a look at Zope, a python based opensource cgi solution:
>
> 	From my POV, Zope has two major problems.
>
> 	#1:	It expects to run as a server.  This is not a good
> 		thing, from the POV of most IPPs and ISPs.
Well, this one is easy ;) Change your ISP. The numbers of Zope providers
are starting to grow.

> 	#2:	The documentation is somewhat lacking.
> 		<< This one is easy to fix. >>
That one is most difficult. Zope is about 140kloc python, with a number of
C language modules. And it does combine a number of revolutionary ideas.
Actually a rather huge number of genial ideas.
(DC seems to be small, but they do have a quality standard for hireing :) )

Actually, the long running process problem you seem to be refering to, can
be partly solved by developing for ZPublisher only. This is a magnitude
better than cgi programming, and for some projects even the best way, but
generally speaking ZPublisher is but one of the components of ZOPE.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +43/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256