[Zope] Giving up...Documentation proposal

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pop.pitt.edu
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:01:41 -0400

I've read Brad Hull's comments and the discussion that followed with some
interest, as I'm in a similar situation. I have both Zope 1.x and Zope 2
running on an NT machine and I'm currently doing some prototyping using
Zope as a collaboration support system (essentially committee managment)
and a system to deliver educational material. It has potential to go far
beyond that in our environment--which includes 18 hospitals that are
geographically dispersed (with one in Italy). We seriously need a
multi-author information managment system that we can customize
completely, and I see Zope as a framework that can provide this.
Unfortunately, the current problems with documentation limit our work to
limited "high maintenance" experimentation.

What's really needed to solve this problem is a framework for creating
the documentation quickly, and something to kick-start the effort. I'd
suggest that DC, as a part of its scheduling of fall training sessions,
create one or more training sessions on Zope 2 specifically for
documentation writers. Ideally, these "Documentation Seminars" would be a
partnership with the user community in which the training would be given
at no cost other than transportation and lodging (which the trainees
would pay for). Those interested in contributing to the documentation
effort could apply to DC to attend the seminar and DC would choose the
final participant list based on qualifications, available time, etc. In
addition to a download of information about Zope 2 to writers, the
seminar(s) would also include an organization session in which the
documentation work was divided into specific assignments and timelines
were set.

It's in all our best interests that we get some quality documentation out
as soon as possible. A concerted effort like this would be one way to
harness the user community to do just that.

Jim Harrison

James H. Harrison, Jr., MD, PhD
Associate Director, Division of Pathology Informatics
Department of Pathology, Univ. of Pittsburgh Health System

C920 PUH, 200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

jhrsn@pop.pitt.edu | voice: 412-647-5529 | fax: 412-647-9588

"If you want sense, you'll have to make it yourself!!"-Norton Juster