[Zope] Migrating between versions

Tony.McDonald@newcastle.ac.uk Tony.McDonald@newcastle.ac.uk
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 05:51:19 +0100 (BST)

> Good evenin'
>
> What is the proper procedure for migrating all of your Zope work to a new
> version of Zope. I've been busy working on 2.0b4, and I'd like to move to
> 2.0b5. How can I maintain all of my work?
>
> -Tim

As someone who's just done that...
1) copy all your .tar and .tgz files that you've accumulated into the top-level of the new Zope distn
2) untar and install all of them
3) create an Extensions directory (and while you're at it, make an import one too)
4) cp ../old_dist/Extensions/* Extensions
5) if you're using a binary distn., copy all the Python files you've accumulated in lib/python1.5 into the new lib/python1.5 directory
5a) if you're using a source distn this isn't necessary
6) mkdir new_distn/var/Data_old
6a) mv new_dist/var/Data.* new_dist/var/Data_old
7) cp ../old_dist/var/Data.* var/
8) use zpasswd to create a superuser id/pw of your choice
9) stop the old distn. (./stop)
10) start the new ./start distn.

(I *think* that's the lot...)

(5) is the real pain - you'll only find the .py files you've missed when you get a traceback! (I upgrade regularly and often on several boxes, I now know my .py files off by heart! :}

hth
tone