[Zope] pcgi error message.

Andrew Lahser andrew@apl-software.com
20 Aug 1999 13:33:04 -0000

I'm stymied as well. But I do know what it means.

Your trying to use a webserver, such as Apache, with Zope. When a request
comes into
your webserver, your webserver attempts to send the request over to Zope.
Here is how.
1. Request arrives at web server.
2. Web server sends request to Zope.cgi. With Apache, a mod_rewrite rule is
necessary
 to pass the authentication information because Apache usually handles basic
authentication.
3. Zope.cgi, as configured by the Zope install process, starts up pcgi/pcgi-
wrapper.
4. The pcgi-wrapper reads the environment from the Zope.cgi file
5. The pcgi-wrapper determines if the socket is available, and sends the
request to the socket of
your long-running process -- Zope (Zope2) or pcgi_publisher.py (Zope 1).
6. If the socket is not available, the pcgi-wrapper trys to start the
publisher and send the request.
7. The pcgi-wrapper sends the response to the web server, which delivers it
to the client

Your problem could be in serveral areas.
1. If you are using Zope beta 4 or under, do the following. (This could be
fixed in beta 5.)
cd /Path/to/your/zope
cd pcgi
./configure
make
This will remake the pcgi-wrapper, which will fail to connect as compiling in
the installation tarball. There
was a thread on this very topic last week or the week before, you can search
egroup.com/list/zope
or review the archives from the zope.org site
2. Your Zope.cgi is not configured correctly. There are serveral helpful
readmes. In order of
importance.
doc/INSTALL -- grep for pcgi -- How to start zope with pcgi server enabled.
doc/WEBSERVER -- grep for pcgi -- How to setup your webserver to send
requests to Zope.cgi
doc/FAQ.txt -- a question on what to do when getting "failure to connect"
pcgi/README -- overview of pcgi
pcgi/Win32/README.nt -- if you do that sort of thing
You can also test your pcgiinfo file (Zope.cgi) using the pcgi/Test/parseinfo
program.
3. Permissions are set incorrectly for the var directory for Apache or Zope.

Mind you, I still haven't figured out my problem, but I am reasonably certain
about these notes.

Andrew