[Zope] BULK EXPORT TO

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:36:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Theodore Patrick wrote:

> Ok, I realize that this gets asked all the time but....
>
> What is the best method for exporting HTML out of Zope in an automated
> manner?
There is no such method ;)
Ok, some hints:
1.) Don't create infinite recursion.
2.) Use extensions like .html and .gif/.jpeg
3.) Do something about the <BASE> tags.

The above problems in more detail, are:
ad 1.) ZOPE via Aquisition can have infinite recursion, and the harm is
       a non problem in reality. With a automatic retrieval client like
       wget, infinite recursion is a huge problem.
ad 2.) PCs store the data type in the filename (extension). The http
       protocol doesn't do this, it does have a Content-Type: header.
       Now with classical static webservers, the webserver derives
       the content type from the extension. In ZOPE this type is derived
       usually from properties or dynamically.
       Additionally, because '.' is an operator in Python, having
       ids with an embedded '.' is a nuissance in ZOPE.
ad 3.) ZOPE inserts into each HTML page a BASE tag, which is oriented on
       its current believe where it is.

wget the whole thing afterwards.

> We have a project to create 40,000+ pages out of a database. We do not want
> to support a dynamic server in a live environment, so we want ZOPE to
> publish all of the pages to the file system dynamically in batch. The
Perhaps you should just use DocumentTemplate and a Python script. Less
hassle than trying to make ZOPE something it wasn't designed to do.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +43/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256